Sheryl Haystead loved teaching kids God's Word. These writings are from her last years of teaching Sunday School and are full of wisdom and compassion for the little ones Jesus loves so dearly--Sheryl loved them, too.
RSS

Monday, September 14, 2009

First-Day Jitters

No matter how many Sunday School classes I've taught, the first day of a new wonderful group of kids always gives me first-day jitters. That must have been the reason I woke up at 4:30 to go over the puppet script one more time. (Really, how many people do you know who are up at that time of the morning having an imaginary conversation with Buddy the cute, cuddly dog puppet!)

The class started off enthusiastically! Our first kid came headlong into the room yelling, "Sunday School!" with a huge grin on his face. And we were off and running! What fun we had!

What I learned: Next quarter I'm going to cut off the Fridge Factor in the Family FunTime paper, laminate it and give it out separately to parents. (I gave out way too much paper yesterday!) And I learned to follow the kids' lead in getting started in the activity of their choice (I'm so grateful for a curriculum that gives me enough activities from which to choose so that every kid can find a place of comfort and discovery.)

Oh, and my conversation with Buddy? When I started the script with one or two kids at my side, I thought, "Well, this isn't really going to work." But as soon as Buddy popped up his head, child after child joined the group. They even laughed at the jokes! Best of all, the boys who couldn't wait to play with cars and trucks, fell silent in their play so they could watch and listen, too. Best of all, they "got it" that God cares about them.

6 comments:

mare said...

WOOHOO! while i was only able to be in class a short while yesterday, the kids loved the new talktime pages! BUT they didn't want to put the stickers in the circles provided (adult thinking!) they every one placed the stickers beside the matching picture! :)

Unknown said...

I also had a great class this Sunday. While I didn't have the opportunity to teach preschool, my 2nd and 3rd graders were awesome! I can only imagine what a school teacher goes through on the first day of school. All the kids were so excited to see each other again, it was hard to get them settled down. Some of these kids I has not seen since VBS this summer when they doused me in water during our game time. Belive me they remembered that.
I had 18 kids in all and we had such fun in our class and the kids were so engaged we did Bible story for 30 out of 50 minutes. They just kept talking aboout it and asking questions so we just stayed there.
The other really cool thing that happened was at our prayer time. I had several kids volunteer to pray so I left it open so whoever wanted to pray could. Wow, these kids were praying for "real" problems. Deep heartfelt prayers. We really felt God in our classroom. Thanks for the blog Sheryl

Debbie Barber said...

I had a great time teaching this lesson, too! The kids loved wearing the "I know God cares about me" sticker. It was great for letting parents know what the focus of the lesson was right away. The Buddy puppet was a huge hit, even though I kept messing up the script. The kids loved him! I think using the puppet script at the very end of the lesson is going to be a great way to end class each week.

Steelsmitty said...

I was a participant in an adult Sunday school class that probably could have used a puppet to enhance the lesson. :-)

Debbie Barber said...

I just printed out the song charts from the Preschool Music CD (it is an enhanced CD with word charts for each song and art of the preschool logo). I also printed out the logo to make a cover for the song charts and made copies for the other teachers I am working with in my class. Now we'll be able to learn the song words before the next class!

Just Because said...

This is great! I am not currently teaching Sunday School at my church but am Mentoring in a Special Needs Program.

I really like being able to ready what you are doing in your Sunday Schools

Post a Comment