Sheryl Haystead loved teaching kids God's Word. These writings are from her last years of teaching Sunday School and are full of wisdom and compassion for the little ones Jesus loves so dearly--Sheryl loved them, too.
RSS

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Look at the Princess!

"Look at the princess!" the little 4-year-old girl said as she pointed to a picture of Mary in a Nativity scene. I must admit I was a little surprised that she didn't know who Mary was. Surely kids know the story of Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus! But as I thought about it, I realized that

  • to a young child Christmas most often means Santa Claus and presents, and
  • to a young girl, beautiful young women are most often Disney princesses

So while I could lament that our culture crowds out Jesus and His birth, especially at this season, or I could be dismayed that her parents haven't told the good news of Jesus, I was so glad to be the one who could say, "Mary looks like a princess, doesn't she. But she was even more special than a princess! She was the mother of Jesus. And at Christmas we get to celebrate and do lots of special things because we remember that Jesus was born."

I wonder how many other opportunities I'll have in Sunday School to help kids hear the true Christmas Story.

No comments:

Post a Comment