Sheryl Haystead loved teaching kids God's Word. These writings are from her last years of teaching Sunday School and are full of wisdom and compassion for the little ones Jesus loves so dearly--Sheryl loved them, too.
RSS

Monday, March 22, 2010

Where is Jesus?

This year at our church’s Happy Birthday, Jesus! Party, I overheard a little three-year-old boy asking his mom, “Where’s Jesus?” This little boy had come to the celebration hoping finally to see this amazing person who he’d heard about. Surely Jesus wouldn’t miss His own birthday party!

As we’re teaching stories of Jesus and as we get ready to tell the wondrous news that Jesus is alive, what can we say to help children understand? How do we explain that Jesus is with us--when we can’t see Him? I’d love to know the perfect words that would help every little child (and adult) fully comprehend the truth of Jesus’ presence. But for me, I’m thinking that some simple words start building the foundation on which a child’s faith can grow. So I’ll say:

  • "Even though we can't see Him, Jesus is alive. He is with us."
  • “The Bible is true. It tells us that Jesus is alive. Jesus is our Friend.”
  • “Jesus helps me every day. I know that He loves me. He loves you, too.”

And I'll remember that my love and care for each child teaches more about Jesus' presence and love than my words!

No comments:

Post a Comment