Sheryl Haystead loved teaching kids God's Word. These writings are from her last years of teaching Sunday School and are full of wisdom and compassion for the little ones Jesus loves so dearly--Sheryl loved them, too.
RSS

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Open Doors

Yesterday as I made my usual Saturday trip to church to set up my classroom, I was less than enthusiastic. I’d put it off for much of the day feeling like I had too many errands, too many chores, and too many dishes left to put away until the next holiday meal! Whatever the reason, I was wishing I could just stay at home.

But as I was outlining a hopscotch pattern on the floor in preparation for a fun game, I heard a knock on the door which I had left open. Then I heard a young mom with two preschoolers in tow call out, “Can we please come in and use your bathroom? We’re kind of in a hurry!”

Having been in the same desperate situation to find a bathroom—ANY bathroom—when my own kids were little, I welcomed her in and showed her the bathroom. Afterwards, we had a chance to talk for a few minutes while her children explored our Sunday School classroom. She has never been to our church, doesn’t know anyone who goes to our church—but stopped in the parking lot when she saw the doors open. I invited her and the kids to come for a visit. I don’t know if they ever will, but I’m praying that she will remember the open door and decide to step through it. I wondered about the timing that led me to church at just the moment when she drove through the parking lot. I wondered what God had in mind for her. And after she left, I set about getting ready for Sunday with a renewed sense of purpose. Opening doors to children and their parents is what it’s all about.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this! I love when God fills us up when we're running on empty!! :) Sunday morning I woke up similarly overwhelmed, but as I shared with our 3 year olds through Kindergarteners in large group time and saw their eyes intently watching and participating as we pretended to dig wells like Isaac and talked about being kind to others...even when it's hard, I was filled up again with purpose and renewed energy! What a blessing to be able to share God's Word with such sweet, little ones!!

Unknown said...

What a great reminder that our ministry is 24/7 not just on Sunday's

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this. It could not have come at a more opportune time! Thank you for being obedient and pressing through to get to Church to set the room up in spite of how you were feeling! God still opens doors!

Emily Young said...

I needed this so desperately. Some weeks lately I go through the motions and prepare the necessary pom poms and glitter, but my heart is elsewhere. However whenever Sunday morning rolls around and the kids are high energy and clamoring to get to class. The excitement, the love, the passion overwhelms me and puts me right back on top...ready to conquer another week! Thank you for letting me know I am not alone!

Linda Hale said...

I appreciated this blog so much. I have served as a children's teacher, adult teacher, music leader and pastor's wife for many years. There are so many Sunday mornings that I seriously wish it was Monday instead. I have to remind myself of the scriptures "I was glad when they said unto me, let us go into the house of the Lord." Psalm 122:1 Then I pray for a willing heart and for the Lord to help me to minister in His name just one more day. I've learned through many struggles to rely more and more on the Lord walk me through each day. Rely on Him my dear sisters in the Lord, you will find Him always faithful.

Tara said...

There is always more. There is always somewhere else we could be, something else we could be doing. But each and every childs' heart that we touch and show the love of Jesus to matters in the kingdom. When we are run down, we have to remember that each moment is the opportunity for a child to hear a life changing message from God. We can't determine that, only HE can. But when we position ourselves to listen to Holy Spirit and to be used by Him we will find ourselves renewed for the task at hand. :)
Blessings over you...

Post a Comment