Sheryl Haystead loved teaching kids God's Word. These writings are from her last years of teaching Sunday School and are full of wisdom and compassion for the little ones Jesus loves so dearly--Sheryl loved them, too.
RSS

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Still Learning!

Do you ever wake up on Sunday morning and think how good it would feel to just stay in bed? Or how relaxing it would be to leisurely enjoy that second cup of coffee? Believe it or not, even after teaching Sunday School for many years, I’m often reluctant to get up and get going to church. You’d think I’d have learned by now!

Here’s what I’m (still!) learning: my supply of energy gets filled up by teaching kids at church! It starts when I see my co-teachers faithfully arriving—keeping their commitment just like me. It builds when I see the look of anxiety on a preschooler’s face change into a big smile when she sees that her teacher is ready to welcome her. It gets stronger when I hear about an active boy who got the message of Barnabas (also known in today’s story as Mr. Helper!). By the end of the morning, I’m so thankful for the opportunity I’ve had to hang out with my church family and to play, listen and talk with kids about Jesus.

Vacations are great, and time off is great, too! But really, nothing’s greater than getting to be part of a team of people who give and receive energy every Sunday morning! I’ll try to do a better job of remembering the words of Isaiah 40:31: “Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.”

No comments:

Post a Comment