Sheryl Haystead loved teaching kids God's Word. These writings are from her last years of teaching Sunday School and are full of wisdom and compassion for the little ones Jesus loves so dearly--Sheryl loved them, too.
RSS

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Promise of His Presence

Got change taking place in your life? I certainly do! So the words of preparation in my teacher’s guide seemed to have been written just for me: “What changes are you facing in your own life? How can you respond to these changes with thankfulness and joyful worship?” These were two questions in the Teacher Challenge for last Sunday’s lesson. Noah’s life was the example of someone who responded to change by being faithful to God’s call and by thanking God for His love and protection.

Those two questions stuck with me before and after Sunday because I’m the first to admit that I don’t always respond positively to change in my life. Recognizing that change is taking place most often produces worry about future uncertainties. But in the middle of those feelings, the words in the Teacher Challenge gave me hope: “Change is one way God gently reminds us that He is the One we must depend on—because He does not change.” I can live with that! It’s impossible to know the results that changes will bring, but I can know for certain that God will be with me.

As I play, listen and talk with kids, their parents and my co-teachers, and in the middle of all the blocks, games, puppets and more, the promise of God’s presence is what I want to be ready to share with them.

What I learned today: Don’t give in to the temptation to skip over the teacher preparation. Even when you've had a busy week. Even when your To Do List is very long. Ask God to speak to you, so that you are better prepared to speak to others.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is very difficult to be excited about God and His promises if we have not spent personal time with Him as we prepare each week. We are much more "convincing" if we have personally experienced God's presence. That's my prayer is that the children in my care will recognize how much God wants to be a part of their lives!

Post a Comment