Sheryl Haystead loved teaching kids God's Word. These writings are from her last years of teaching Sunday School and are full of wisdom and compassion for the little ones Jesus loves so dearly--Sheryl loved them, too.
RSS

Sunday, August 22, 2010

God's Big Story

“I’m not finished yet!” I thought today as I talked to Jacob, a 5-year-old boy who had been in my class this past year. I had suddenly realized that he would be moving on to the first grade class. And I almost panicked as I thought, “But I haven’t finished telling you God’s Big Story yet! There’s so much more for you to discover about your place in the Story!” I wished Jacob could stay in my class another year!

Looking back on the year he’s been in my class, I knew there had been missed opportunities when the number of kids was so large I was focused on crowd control, or I forgot the question or comment I should have made at just the right time to connect his play to the lesson’s Bible truth, or the block activity didn’t work the way I envisioned it. But now, ready or not, he’s moving on! I’m passing the baton to his next teachers. Now it’s their turn to share with Jacob the discovery of who God is and His Big Story.

It’s amazing to think back on the teachers who shared that same discovery with me as I grew to know God. And it’s even more amazing to think of the teachers who all over the world are getting ready to share God’s Big Story with a new class of kids this fall. Aren’t you glad you’re a part of such an inspiring Story?

No comments:

Post a Comment