Sheryl Haystead loved teaching kids God's Word. These writings are from her last years of teaching Sunday School and are full of wisdom and compassion for the little ones Jesus loves so dearly--Sheryl loved them, too.
RSS

Sunday, August 8, 2010

I Didn't Get a Turn!

“I didn’t get a turn!” Kenna told me today. Have you ever heard those words in your class? These words are often heard in my preschool class. Whether it’s getting to tell the name of someone God loves, being the leader in the game or playing a favorite rhythm instrument, getting a turn is a big concern to preschoolers.

Sometimes I find myself passing over this concern with a quick response, “Don’t worry. You’ll get a turn.” But I’m thinking that I need to take the time to give a genuine response with eye contact and a smile. Why? Because I want the kids in my class to know that I truly care about what they care about. After all, they’re learning about Jesus’ love from me! And Jesus’ love is patient and kind and persevering. (Check out 1 Corinthians 13!)

So when we are playing, listening and talking, I’m going to do my best to make sure everyone gets a turn—and even more, that everyone knows that their concerns (big and little) are important to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw! You are very thoughtful and loving. I think little kids are very afraid of being invisible, and you help to make them know that they are present and loved.

Post a Comment