Sheryl Haystead loved teaching kids God's Word. These writings are from her last years of teaching Sunday School and are full of wisdom and compassion for the little ones Jesus loves so dearly--Sheryl loved them, too.
RSS

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Cool Creativity

Every time I teach kids I am amazed by the creativity they show! Today we had a game that involved moving across the room. To make the game more interesting for our kids, I set out some cones that they had to navigate around. I demonstrated how they could quietly and calmly walk around the cones. But each child approached this in his or her own way--and quiet and calm wasn't what they had in mind!!

It was so fun to watch as the first boy decided to jump over the cones, then another one walked backwards, a little girl tiptoed daintily around them and a boy finished it off by leaping acrobatically to the side of each cone. And, of course, they didn’t do it just once, they had fun repeating it over and over again.

During the puppet script, they were once again full of creativity: calling out ideas for how Skitter the squirrel could win the “Do Good Things Race.” Picking up trash, giving hugs, finding and sharing acorns with other squirrels were some of the creative ideas they suggested.

What a delight it is to see how God made each child, and what a privilege it is to have a small part in helping each one grow and discover. I hope you have time and space in your class for kids to express their God-given creativity. It's one of the good things we can do--which, after all, was our Bible verse for today!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

HI Sheryl, I love this post. I am a verteran CM and looking for a new, fresh approach to Wednesday nights for my PreK 4's and K group. My vision is for them to have a group time called "Play and Learn". I have yet to find a written curriculum that carries out my vision. With multiple groups running at the same time, it is necessary for me to be able to hand my volunteers a lesson with creative ways to carry it out. Any suggestions? Most have been in school all day and need a fun approach to church after a long day. Would love to hear your ideas. Love the blog!!!

Sheryl said...

Hi Melissa, Thanks for your comment! I agree that the kids would need some fun play activities in your Wed. night program. Do you have supplies for any learning activities--blocks, art, or dress-up and play kitchen items? I think the kids would love to play with those. My church uses Gospel Light's Preschool curriculum one hour, and Little KidsTime Growing with God the second hour. Lots of fun play ideas. Little KidsTime is particularly easy for volunteers to use in a mid-week program.

Post a Comment