Sheryl Haystead loved teaching kids God's Word. These writings are from her last years of teaching Sunday School and are full of wisdom and compassion for the little ones Jesus loves so dearly--Sheryl loved them, too.
RSS

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Super Fast!

I should know this by now, but it’s always so amazing to me how a young child’s words can be the perfect description. Today in Sunday School we talked about Jesus calling the 12 disciples. Some of our kids can’t even count to 12 yet, so we did lots of counting—dropping pennies into egg carton sections was a big hit!

Later, during the Bible story, my co-teacher asked the group, “The Bible tells us that Andrew and Peter immediately followed Jesus. What does the word immediately mean?” I wasn’t sure that anyone would answer, but without any hesitation a kindergarten boy hollered out the words “Super fast!” This is a boy who loves to do things super fast! But what a great description of the eagerness with which the disciples left their fishing nets and families and began the adventure of following Jesus! For the rest of the session, as we heard the story of the 12 men who followed Jesus, we talked about following and obeying Jesus “super fast!”

I think I’m going to take this phrase as my motto for the week. Every day there are times when I hear our lesson’s Bible verse: “‘Come, follow Me,’ said Jesus.” I’m asking God to help me follow Him “super fast!” (So the elderly neighbor I haven’t seen in a while? Need to follow Jesus and go knock on her door.)

No comments:

Post a Comment